Before Your Wedding

In the time leading up to your big day there are a few things that need to be taken care of.
Any documents in a foreign language must be officially translated into English by an authorised person who is a legally recognized translator. As your Celebrant I will need to see both the original and the translated documents.

  1. With your celebrant you will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form at least 1 month prior to your wedding (I would suggest earlier rather than later to secure your wedding date & time).
    It can also be lodged with your celebrant up to 18 months in advance of your wedding date.
  2. When completing the Notice of Intended Marriage form I must sight the original following documents:
    • Original Birth Certificate or Birth Certificate Extract or Passport
    • Divorce Certificate
    • Death Certificate – if widowed
    • Photo id e.g drivers licence
    • Court Order – if under the age of 18yrs
    • Parents written consent – if under the age of 18yrs
  3. A declaration needs to be signed stating that you are over the age of 18 and that there is no legal impediment to your marriage. This can be done at our pre-ceremony meeting after the wedding rehearsal.
  4. Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required on the day of your ceremony to witness and sign the Marriage Register and Marriage Certificates.
  5. As your Celebrant by Law I must include the Celebrant’s Authority into your ceremony.
  6. Couples must include in their vows the legal wording:
    “I call upon the persons here present to witness that I, (name), take thee, (name), to be my lawful wedded wife (or husband, or spouse).”
    Along with that I encourage every couple to write their own personal vows. I will be more than happy to help you do this.